The Byrum Family

Welcome to our life. Loving our boys and enjoying every second!

Friday, February 6, 2009

Day 6 of sickness lockdown


We have been in the house for almost 6 days. I think the boys might be getting cabin fever...We did make it out to Costco yesterday for a couple hours, but that has been the extent of our outside activities since we have been sick. I gotta say that boys have done amazing and have been pretty good. Since it was raining yesterday, we enjoyed being snuggled inside our house watching movies and being lazy. The rain just makes you feel like that sometimes...Mike had the day off and we intended to use the rainy day to get some cleaning done. Not much cleaning got done, although Mike did about 5 loads of laundry. I love him...

Kaden will be 3 in April and I have heard so many people talk about that age being tougher than 2. Were starting to get a glimpse of what the 3's might be like. I know that he has been sick and hasn't been sleeping great, so I'm sure that is one of the reasons why he is having a difficult time. One minute he is fine and happy and next he is having a full on melt down, kicking and screaming fit. When Kaden was younger he was so sweet and happy, not that he isn't now, but everyone used to say that they never heard him cry or saw him upset. He has thrown a few public tantrums in the last few weeks and I must say it was quite embarrassing. It can be hard to rationalize with a 2 almost 3 year old and I don't just want to give him his way. We are learning the best techniques and ways to handle the melt downs. So far if we are out in public, he gets one warning and if the behavior keeps up, it's out to the car and home for us. This has happened a couple times and I have had to carry him to the car kicking and screaming. Luckily everytime it has happened I have had someone to help me with Austin. Sometimes it can be pretty hairy when we are out alone. I just pray for good behavoir and we talk about it a lot. Re-enforcing good behavoir and having rewards seems to be working pretty good. However, sometimes the meltdown can not be avoided. I encourage Kaden to use his words and tell me how he is feeling. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't...Everyday is a new challenge and adventure. We are handling it all pretty well and learning how to be better parents to our boys. On a positive note, he did take an 2 1/2 hour nap yesterday, which was amazing because he literally hasn't taken a nap in weeks... If you are a parent you know how precious nap time can be. This little boy is so precious to us and we are learning what makes him who he is. He is so funny, silly, and loving most of the time...Kaden on the night he was the sickest...
(he fell asleep on the floor..HE NEVER DOES THIS)

Austin is doing really great. His ear infection seems to be gone and he now back in full force toddler mode. He climbs our couches , destroys laundry piles, climbs up on our dining room table...He is 100% boy and we love him to death. He is really starting to talk tons and we are sometimes shocked at what we hear come out of his mouth. The other night Kaden was having a rough time. He was crying about something and was just being kinda crazy, so Mike was telling Kaden "stop it..." before we knew it, Austin ran up to Kaden and clearly said "stop it stop it stop it!" When Kaden heard it, he burst into giggles. It was pretty cute. I was in the kitchen and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. These boys love each other so much. Kaden was going to the store with me the other night to get diapers, it was time for Austin to go to bed, so he was staying home. As i was getting Kaden's shoes on to leave he was asking me if brother was coming with us. He really doesn't like to go anywhere without him. I really love that!

Hopefully the boys will be fully better in the next few days. Kaden still has a cough and at times seems to not feel good. That is why I still feel like we need to be indoors and out of the cold. They really need to get out and run though and hopefully we can do that soon.

1 Post a comment:

Giggly said...

I really hope they are on their way to wellness :) Sending Well blessing s to you all!